Tips for staying healthy
Quality health care is a partnership. You deserve to have health professionals who are skilled and knowledgeable. They should be respectful, communicate clearly, and involve you in decisions about your care. There is also a lot you can do to take good care of yourself, such as:
- Stay up to date on your screening tests and other preventive care.
- If you have a health condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or asthma, find out what you need to do to manage this condition.
- Go in for health care as soon as you need it. Delays in getting care can make health problems more serious, more costly, and harder to treat.
- If you get sick or injured, follow your treatment plan to help recover faster.
- Do your best to eat healthy foods, stay active, and keep to a healthy weight.
- Get the support you need. Support groups can be a great source of encouragement and practical advice.
- Take medicines safely.
Links to resources on other websites
Stay Healthy at Any Age, Your Checklist for Health
These guidelines tell you what you can do to help stay healthy based on evidence from doing research on screening tests, preventive medicine, and healthy lifestyle behaviors.